Anyone who knows me well will be witness to my rather crazy mascara obsession. I’ve tried or owned the majority of mascaras sold in the UK. My mascara bag (yes I need a separate makeup bag just for mascaras) currently holds 63 different kinds. From Soap and Glory to Charlotte Tilbury, I’ve got all the best mascaras out there and I’m sharing them with you.
Before you think “why does anyone need that many mascaras?”. Well I don’t. I just have an addiction (quite like women who own far too many shoes), so love trying new ones, with the aim of finding the ultimate queen of mascaras, and I think I’ve come pretty close with a few.
Since I also love animals and have some fur babies of my own, I’m totally against animal testing – even I know that a mascara isn’t worth harming an adorable puppy, bunny rabbit, you name it – they’re tested on. So it is my mission to convert as many people as possible to cruelty free beauty, and as a self proclaimed mascara expert this seems like a good place to start.
Each animal tested brand is listed with their best mascaras below (underlined), with great substitutes alongside*.
*All prices are correct at date of publication.
- Eyes To Kill £28…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Illamasqua Raven Mascara £20/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50
- Roller Lash £20.50…..KIKO Ultratech+ Volume and Curl £9.90
- They’re Real £20.50…..Kat Von D Immortal Lashes £22.50/ Urban Decay Troublemaker £19.50/ bareMinerals Lash Domination £20/ Buxom Lash £16
- BADgal Lash £18.50…..Laura Geller Dramalash £19/ Urban Decay Perversion £19/ KIKO Volume Attraction £7.20
- BADgal BANG £21.50…..bareMinerals Flawless Definition £17/ bareMinerals Lash Fomination Petite Precision £20/ Laura Geller Glamlash £19
- No Smudge £22.50…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50
- Extreme Party £24.50…..Illamasqua Raven £20/ Urban Decay Perversion £19
- SmokeyEye £24.50…..Laura Mercier False Lashes £21/ Too Faced Better Than False Lashes £28
- Dimensions de Chanel £25…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Illamasqua Raven £20/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50/ Laura Geller Dramalash £19/ Too Faced Better Than False Lashes £28
- High Impact £18…..Urban Decay Perversion £19/ Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ KIKO Luxurious Lashes £7.20/ KIKO Volume Attraction £7.20
- Chubby Lash £18…..Urban Decay Trouble Maker £19.50/ KIKO Ultratech+ Volume and Definition £9.90
- Diorshow Pump ‘N’ Volume £25.50…..Laura Mercier Extra Lash Sculpting £21/ BUXOM Lash £16
- Diorshow Iconic Overcurl £25.50…..Wander Beauty Unlashed £24/ KIKO Unforgettable Mascara £7.20
- Diorshow Extase £25…..Illamasqua Raven £20/ Urban Decay Perversion £19/ Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes £25/ KIKO Longeyes + Active £7.90
- Grand Entrance £22…..bareMinerals Flawless Definition £17/ Wander Beauty Unlashed £24/ KIKO Ultratech+ Volume and Curl £9.90
- Lasting Impression £22…..Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes £25/ Illamasqua Raven £20/ KIKO Longeyes + Active £7.90
- Standing Ovation £22…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50/ KIKO Luxurious Lashes £7.20
- Sumptuous Extreme £25.50…..LUSH Eyes Right £15.50/ Laura Mercier Full Blown Volume £21
- Double Wear Zero Smudge £22…..Laura Geller Glamlash £19/ Laura Mercier Long Lash £21
- Noir Couture £26…..Too Faced Better Than Sex £19/ Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes £25
- Black Lashdress £22.50…..Kat Von D Immortal Lashes £22.50/ bareMinerals Lash Domination £20
- Maxi Lash £25.50…..Laura Mercier Faux Lashes £21/ Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Illamasqua Raven £20
- Maxi Lash So Volume £26…..Laura Mercier Extra Lash Sculpting £21/ Buxom Lash £16/ Urban Decay Troublemaker £19.50/ Laura Geller LashBoss £19
- Grandiôse Extreme £26…..bareMinerals Lash Domination £20/ Urban Decay Trouble Maker £19.50/ Kat Von D Immortal Lashes £22.50/ Laura Mercier Extra Lash Sculpting £21
- Monsieur Big £21…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Too Faced Better Than Sex £19/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50/ KIKO Extra Sculpt Volume £8.20
- Hynôse Drama £25…..Wander Beauty Unlashed £24/ KIKO Unforgettable £7.20
- Hypnôse Doll Eyes £25…..KIKO Volumeyes + Active £7.90
- Bold and Bad £20…..The Body Shop Lash Hero Fibre Extension £14/ Too Faced Better Than False Lashes
- False Lashes £20…..Laura Geller Dramalash £19/ The Body Shop Lash Hero £11/ Urban Decay Perversion £19/ KIKO Volume Attraction £7.20
- Haute & Naughty £20…..Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Illamasqua Raven £20/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50/ KIKO Luxurious Lashes £7.20
- Extended Play Gigalash £16.50…..bareMinerals Flawless Definition £17
Make Up Forever
- Smoky Lash £19…..Illamasqua Raven £20/ Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ The Body Shop Lash Hero Fibre Extension £14/ Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes £22.50/ Urban Decay Perversion £19/ KIKO Luxurious Lashes £7.20
- Audacious £22…..Laura Mercier Extra Lash Sculpting £21/ Urban Decay Troublemaker £19.50/ Kat Von D Immortal Lashes £22.50/ KIKO Ultratech+ Volume and Definition £9.90
- GinZing Brightening Mascara £18…..Illamasqua Raven £20/ Urban Decay Perversion £19
- Full Lash Multi-Dimension Mascara £24…..Too Faced Better Than Sex £19/ Too Faced Better Than False Lashes £28/ Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes £25
- Full Lash Volume Mascara £22…..Wander Beauty Unlashed £24
- Babydoll £25.50…..bareMinerals Flawless Definition £17/ Kat Von D Immortal Lashes £22.50
- Luxurious £25.50…..Illamasqua Raven £20/ Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes £23/ Urban Decay Perversion £19
- The Shock £23…..Too Faced Better Than Sex £19/ Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes £25/ KIKO Extra Sculpt Volume £8.20
So, what are the best you ask? Well I’ve ranked my Top 10 below (and trust me on this, I know my mascaras)!
1. Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes, £23
This mascara is goals, and that’s enough said. Yes it’s pricey, but it’s well worth it. The thick bristles and the clump-free formula make for effortless application and a flawless finish. This is a must for every mascara lover. GO BUY IT NOW!
2. Illamasqua Raven, £20
I was soooo incredibly close to giving this the top spot. It’s practically the same as Full Fat Lashes but less dense, and it’s fibres are entwined in different directions so it gives a great natural look to lashes, just not as much volume as Full Fat Lashes does. Still – a must!
3. KIKO Unforgettable, £7.20
The name speaks for itself. It absolutely is unforgettable, for all the right reasons. It’s curved fibrous wand gives you the natural curl and lift you’ve been dying for, and the formula is beautifully lightweight, allowing several applications without clumping. At that price, you should buy your nearest KIKO store out of it!!
4. Urban Decay Perversion, £19
If only these guys were 100% cruelty free and they would have nabbed first prize. But don’t despair, urban decay products are never tested on animals, but their parent company does (sigh). I’m not a huge fan of urban decay, liking the more natural beauty look, but this mascara is incredible. As a top coat, an undercoat, a bottom coat, you name it – it does it. It’s basically a clone of Illamasqua Raven but less intense – perfect for the everyday beauty look. Oh and a useful tip – buy the travel size version for £9 and you’ll not only save a tenner but realise that a shorter wand = even better application. #TheDream
5. Too Faced Better Than Sex, £19
Tempted to say it really is, but I’ll leave you to decide. This has such a unique wand with its hour glass shape and weightless bristles, it’s no wonder so many other brands have attempted to copy this incredible invention. Alas, all have failed to be as good. So go get yourself one, you won’t regret it.
6. Kat Von D Sinfull Lashes, £22.50
Well Kat herself is short of nothing when it comes to having the most glamorous and attention drawing eye makeup, so why would her mascara line be any different. Her Sinfull Lashes are quite alike to Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes, just more gothic.
7. bareMinerals Lash Domination, £20
I’m a sucker for anything bareMinerals but I’m certainly not biased with this one. Ask anyone that knows a thing or two about mascaras and they will agree – this is the BEST TOP COAT YOU’LL EVER GET. Bottom coat? Not so much. Don’t expect it to function well as that. But it really goes the wow factor when you put it on last.
8. KIKO Longeyes + Active, £7.90
KIKO are certainly dominating the list. This one is such a good mimic of many mentioned above, but for less than half the price, for you guys less inclined to spend your life savings on mascaras (unlike me – yes, it’s a problem), it’s a great option. Volume here you come!
9. The Body Shop Lash Hero Fibre Extension, £14
Another bargain to be had here, as it’s basically 2 mascaras for the price of one. The Body Shop changed their mascara design status from dreadful to delightful when they launched this one. The thinner wand gives you the boosted length your natural lashes need, whilst the thicker end gives you a great voluminous finish.
10. Wander Beauty Unlashed, £24
Simply because it’s hard to find somewhere to purchase this from, and it’s a little more pricey than others I’ve named, Unlashed didn’t make it in the top 5. It had to make the top 10 though, because if you don’t have it, you’re missing out. Another beautifully curved wand to give you lift and length at the same time. Yes please.